I know we’ve all been here before but does anyone have any advice on how to recover after the binge, the moment where your so drugged on food you can hardly move and your whole body is numb but your emotions are going haywire? what makes you feel better and stay positive, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ?…
Beth..It is so natural for us to get the bat and what to hit us over the head until that guilt and shame is erased from our mind, but, what we really need right now is loving and support. I’m sending that your way.
Treat yourself kindly and know that you are a worthy human being who deserves all life has to offer you.
Hey Beth! I’m experiencing that myself, and I’m trying to stay positive instead of remaining trapped inside my own head with thoughts of guilt and shame and just feeling gross overall.. I’ve found that doing things to take your mind off of it, like reading a book or watching a good TV show really help. Also maybe calling or texting a friend, so you don’t feel totally isolated after a binge…. that really helps me avoid wallowing, because if I wallow too much I usually just binge again. Just keep in mind that you are not alone in this!! As eemslo said, you are a worthy human being! don’t ever forget that! xoxoxo
yeah i agree with both eemslo and freemaya, it is crucial to remain positive and be good to yourself even after a big binge. there is literally no point in wallowing! things that helped me were:
1. learning something about what just happened, to help you next time
2. recognising that my depressions and suicidal thoughts were brought on by the carb crash and remembering that i had snapped out of it many times before
3. having a good nights’ sleep – our bodies need to recover from all the trauma we just put them through
4. going for a walk the next day, getting outside and some fresh air
5. making 1 good decision to set you up the next day. do anything that will make you feel proud of yourself – be it saying ‘no’ to an urge first thing in the morning, doing something healthy like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, doing a favour for a stranger…
6. writing out or thinking of a gratitude list – what are you thankful for?